The Purpose

The purpose of this blog is to encourage the family of Four Mile Church to eat God's word on a more regular basis; to be nourished and fortified. Mile markers help you to know how far you have come and how much further you have to go. God's word is like a mile marker. My prayer is that this simple blogg helps you to partake in God's word and prayer on a more regular basis.



Please share your insights and revelations if you think they may encourage another brother or sister in Christ.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Inconvenient Accomodations

Hebrews 2:9-18

My son just celebrated his 5th birthday. He had been anticipating this day for six months; nearly obsessive about it. While at the table eating his cake he asked "So, when do I turn 6?" We told him he has to wait another year. His response was
"Ahhhhhhhh, that's going to take forever." Waiting is just too inconvenient.

There is not much about following Jesus that is convenient, yet somehow we have this notion that following Jesus is suppose to make life easier. Yes, following Jesus does have it's "perks" and "membership does have it's privilage", but they are not to make life more convenient. What Jesus offers is peace, presence, power, and love, or what we call salvation. Salvation in the larger sense of living an abundant life with God; not limited to but also involving heaven.

The portion for this week is about God making an inconvenient accomodation for love.
Not inconvenient in that it bothered Him to do so, but inconvenient in the sense that it had a cost.

For This Week
Read this portion once a day this week.

Watch the video at the bottome of the page.

Read the Biography of Sadu Sundar Sing

How did this disciple model incarnation in his ministry?

Prayer - Pray this right after you wake up, and as you enter into any communal sitation this week.

Lord, may Christ be in the eye of everyone who sees me.
May Christ be in the ear of everyone who hears me.
May Christ be in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me.
May Christ be in the touch of everyone who feels me.
May Christ be in the mind of those who think of me.
May Christ be in me,and I in Christ Jesus.

Amen

1 comment:

  1. Out of His incredible love for us, God put on flesh, came to earth, suffered and died a horrific death on the cross so that we can have eternal life. The cost is hard to even take in. I think we cheapen that grace when we just rest in the assurance that we are heaven bound and do nothing to usher in His Kingdom here and now. Sadu Sundar Sing understood the cost and responded to total surrender irregardless of what it cost him. When people encountered him, they had one of two responses. Some said "He not only looks like Jesus, he talks like Jesus must have talked." Others saw Christ through him and rejected Him violently and the cost was much suffering. This has caused me to reflect on just how fully am I surrendered to His Spirit in me. When people encounter me, do they see Christ through me as this prayer requests? What does it cost me in my daily journey? It is all very humbling and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete